Greetings, friends. I know I haven’t been blogging much lately, so I wanted to give you a quick update on what I’ve been up to in order to reassure you I haven’t fallen off the face of the earth…
- I finished revisions and edits on After the Shot Drops! This took a couple rounds and a few months, but (hopefully) the book is much better now. From here, I’ll need to do copy edits (proofreading the actual pages, basically), then I should see a draft of the cover. In a couple months, the ARCs (advance review copies) should start going out to reviewers, and then it will hit shelves in spring 2018!
- I felt like writing something new, so I put The Goblin & The Whale on the back burner (it needs some heavy revisions before it’s ready to start shopping to publishers). I’ve written about 6,000 words this new secret project, and it’s much more personal than my other books. My goal is to finish the first draft by summer.
- I’ve picked up the habit of reading a bit of poetry every night. With my own writing, I started with poetry, but then I kind of stopped reading it/writing it as I began to write fiction. However, there’s a power in imagery and musicality of language that I feel like my writing’s been lacking, so I’m hoping dipping back into poetry can revive those skills. I’ve since read Patrick Rosal’s Brooklyn Antediluvian and Claudia Rankine’s Citizen, and now I’m making my way through Sarah Kay’s No Matter the Wreckage and Jason Bayani’s Amulet.
- I’ve consumed a ridiculous number of articles about the state of our country. I’ve attended protests and readings, I’ve had countless conversations with people about what’s going on. I’ve been thinking a lot about what I can do beyond writing fiction and teaching in a way that fosters empathy. No answers, yet.
- For some self-care, I’ve been playing video games (Uncharted 4, The Last of Us, and FFXV), reading comics (Jonesy,Black Panther, The Arrival, Through the Woods, Love is Love), watching TV (Blackish, Modern Family, Fresh Off the Boat, This is Us, Steven Universe, Over the Garden Wall), and hiking (we went to Yosemite for the first time a couple of weeks ago!).
- I’m still teaching high school English full time, and I’ve been prepping for a 17-day trip to Israel that leaves today. I’m going as a chaperone for our school’s junior class trip.
See–I have been doing stuff!*
*I’m speaking more to myself here than to any of you.