Happy New Year, friends! I hope it was as good a reading year for you as it was for me. I read about 70ish books on this trip around the sun, and of those, here were my 14 favorites:
14. THE WALKING DEAD (vol. 20/21) by Robert Kirkman. Some pretty crazy action in there.
13. FAT BOY VS. THE CHEERLEADERS by Geoff Herbach. Hilarious and heartfelt.
12. ANOTHER LITTLE PIECE by Kate Karyus Quinn. Creepy and surreal and beautifully written.
11. SAGA (vol. 3) by Brian K. Vaughn. This series just keeps getting better.
10. COLUMBINE by Dave Cullen. Painful to read but engaging and thought-provoking.
9. FORGIVE ME, LEONARD PEACOCK by Matthew Quick. Great voice and powerful character arc.
8. WINGER by Andrew Smith. Every sentence had me cracking up and then it yanked my heart from my chest.
7. WE3 by Grant Morrison. A single volume graphic novel that I wished were an entire series.
6. NOT A DROP TO DRINK by Mindy McGinnis. Gorgeous and brutal.
5. STRENGTH TO LOVE by MLK, Jr. Some real truth bombs in here. Even added it to my AP Engl curriculum.
4. WE WERE LIARS by E. Lockhart. Masterful voice and storytelling.
3. BROWN GIRL DREAMING by Jacqueline Woodson. Because, my God, the feels.
2. JELLICOE ROAD by Melina Marchetta. Some of the best prose I’ve ever read.
1. WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE by Shirley Jackson. Subtle and creepy, and amazing voice.
In case you’re curious, here’s my complete list of books I read in 2014.